(Like many of my technology postings, this is really here for my own notes on problems I run into, the solutions I try and what works when. They are updated as I learn.)
EDIT 6.27.17: This solution does not work. Onward…
Apropos of nothing, this post is mainly so I remember how I did this.
Once upon a time, at my job we were encouraged to use a program called Update Freezer for the public use computers. The program was simple enough, install it and turn it on and you could disable the updates for all the major programs (Adobe, Chrome, Firefox, Apple, Windows) . It worked well enough but honestly I didn't find it any quicker or easier than manually updating the computers.
As Windows 10 came along, we abandoned Update Freezer but not entirely it seems. Enough of the remnants of the program remained to cause future updating problems.
The biggest problem was Firefox. Every time a patron tried to open Firefox, they were asked if they want to import settings from another browser. The Search Engine, Home page and History rules would never stay. Now re-installing Update Freezer, enabling all the updates and uninstalling Update Freezer, sometimes more than once, fixed everything else. Firefox would not play nice. I tried uninstalling Firefox with Revo Uninstaller and re-installing it but the same problems occured.